Tuesday, August 19, 2008

2 Year Check Up

Claire had her 2 year check up yesterday. I switched doctors after we got insurance. She was going to a doctor in Port Arthur. I was not impressed with her. I really liked her as a person just not as my daughter's doctor. I switched her to Dr. Worley in Beaumont. I'm very happy with him and his staff. Claire has always SCREAMED at the doctor's office. Once the nurse would come in the waiting room to get her, the water works would start. I was so proud of her this time though. You could tell she was a little nervous when the nurse came, but I reassured her she would be fine. The nurse (Beth, I believe) did a great job. She talked to Claire and played with her while she was getting all the vital signs. She even let her push the buttons on the thermometer. I was SO impressed! Claire weighed in at 24lbs 8oz and 34 inches tall. She's getting so big!

Then Dr Worley came in and talked to me. He asked me if I had any questions. I guess that's what doctors are suppose to act like. In past visits with Claire's other doctor I was never asked once if I had any questions. Anyway, Claire was a big girl until he had to look in her ears. Claire has ear infections a lot so she doesn't like people to even touch them. He looked Claire over and found that she had a little female issue that she has had since birth, that is actually pretty common he said. I was shocked because this was the first I had ever heard anything about it. He prescribed something that should resolve the issue though. If not, she might have to have a procedure to correct the problem. Because of this issue though she is more prone to getting urinary tract infections, so he wanted to get a urine sample. In order to do this they had to put a "pee bag" on her. Not fun!! Poor thing was so traumatized she wouldn't go. It took her like 4-5 hours to go.

And if all that wasn't enough, she had to go get routine labs done that they do at 9 months and 2 years old along with her 2nd Hep A shot. Thank goodness this doctor's office has a lab right there in the building. I had to bear hug Claire while another nurse held her arm down and one more nurse to draw the blood. I cried like a baby! It was heart shattering to have to listen to Claire beg me to help her and hold her. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Even today every time I tell Claire that it's time to change her diaper she starts crying and says, "No, Mommy!" I have to remind her that we took the bag off and that it's all better.

On a happy note, we were told that our insurance pays for Well Exams so that saved us about $200.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I've always heard good things about Dr. Worley. We'll be switching doctors too once we get insurance too.

It is hard to listen to your sweet baby cry at the doctor. Poor thing!

Janelle said...

Oh man! Last time I took Meredith to the Dr. they drew blood. I cried too! I couldn't stand to hear her cry and look at me with those big eyes like "Why are you doing this to me?" I told Court that from now on, he has to go to all her appointments so he can hold her while she screams. Poor baby...the nurse had some trouble getting the needle in so she wiggled the needle around and then pulled it out and tried again...I wanted to smack her. Yeah...I don't like to see Meredith get shots or poked. Not at all!