Saturday, August 23, 2008

Mom's Progress

My mom had a total hip replacement on Friday at about 4pm. Kev and I got up this morning and drove to Lufkin to see how she was. When we walked in at about 10:30 she looked like she had been hit by a truck, poor thing. She was talking great though and didn't seem like she was in a lot of pain. Shortly after we got there Kevin, my dad, and Claire went to Caryn's house (Kev's sister), who lives about 5 minutes from the hospital, to try to fix our car door. It won't open from the inside, weird. Anyway, so that left just Mom and me. I enjoyed just talking to her. My mom and I have always been close. She's more than my mom, she's one of my best friends. At about 12:30pm the Physical and Occupational Therapists came to get her up and moving for the first time. They sat her up which was very painful for her. She didn't cry or anything which is good because if she had cried I would have been crying right with her! After a couple minutes of sitting on the edge of the bed they got her to stand up with the walker. It actually made her pain level go way down. She said when she sat up her pain level was a 10 on a 1-10 scale. However, when she was walking her pain level went down to a 2-3. It was awesome to see my mom walking without a limp and without much pain. I teared up watching her do such an awesome job less than 24 hours after a total hip replacement. I am so proud of her. She says she's a wimp, but I don't know if I could walk so short after a surgery like that. I know once she feels better she will be SO glad she made the decision to finally have this surgery. I wish I had remembered to take the camera out of the diaper bag before Kev left the hospital. I wanted to get pictures to document this time in her life. She's doing GREAT!!

1 comments:

Andrew said...

I visited India in December2007 for a Gastric Bypass procedure. Initially I was a little apprehensive about the treatment in India but I think Indian healthcare system is as good as any in the world. I am very grateful to Valuemedicare (www.valuemedicare.com) for making all the arrangements for procedure and giving me excellent care.